Thursday, July 1, 2010

This pain in my side has become a pain in the butt

Almost 3 months ago, I woke up nauseous with my left side hurting right under my rib cage. I also could feel a bulge. It hurt bad enough and I felt sick enough that I had my dad get me an doctor's appointment first thing Monday. I went and the doctor was clueless. She had blood work, an x-ray, and an ultrasound scheduled and gave me some Pepcid to see if it would help. Nothing helped and all of the tests came back normal.

I went back 3 weeks later for a check up and it wasn't any better. She gave me 800 mg Ibuprofen to see if that would help and told me to come back in a month. It didn't do anything to help. Nothing makes it feel better. I went back a month later and she scheduled a CT on my side, all the while saying that she doesn't think it'll show anything.

I had a CT on June 21 where I had to drink nasty barium sulphate and have an IV with dye in it. The technician told me that the doctor would have the results within a day and if I didn't hear from the soon to call them. I finally called them yesterday and when they didn't call me with my results, I called them back today. They had my doctor call me with the results. This is where my OMG, I'm scaredness began.

She said that the CT showed that I had evidence of having diverticulitis/diverticulosis. She said it looked like I have scarring where I've had it, but it's fine. She said she doesn't think this is why my side has been hurting. I hear this and think, ok, not the best, but it's ok. I'm not freaking out.

Then she said the CT also shows that I have a small hiatal hernia. I think, ok, a hernia, I figured. I'm still not freaking out. Just glad to know I haven't been making up ailments that she obviously thinks I'm lying about. I looked up hiatal hernias and I DEFINITELY have one. It explains the excessive belching and burping I have, the hiccups after I eat, and the acid reflux I have. Starting now, I am on a strict diet. I am giving up cokes of all kinds. It's something you can live with, but to ease the symptoms of it you (and when I say you, I mean I) need to lose weight, stop drinking and eating acidic foods, etc. BTW she also said she doesnt think this is why my side has been hurting.

Now here is where the OMG, I'm scaredness begins. She tells me not to panic because CT scans have become so advanced that they are able to find the smallest things now and it's probably nothing, BUT my CT showed a 1 centimeter pulmonary nodule. "I'm sorry, excuse me, what does that mean?" I ask. She says that it's a spot on my lung and more often than not they are benign, but that she is referring me to a pulmonologist who will monitor it, check it out, and see if it's something that needs attention.

First of all, ANYTHING that shouldnt be in my body but is in my body needs attention! Second of all, why the bleepedy bleep did you not call me a week ago when you had the results!?!?! I know you had the results! This has been going on for 3 months!!!!!! I know there are worse things that happen to other people, but this is happening to me and right now I'm just freaking out. I looked up what it means and everything I read is not good to me because I freak out when I read anything that says malignant. So, I'm not letting myself look up anything else until I see the doctor on the 13th. Surely it's nothing BUT like I said anything that shouldn't be there doesn't make me a happy person.

P.S. She also doesn't think this is why my side hurts. So basically, I'm finding a new doctor.
Deep breaths and prayer! That's what I'm sticking to until I know more.

1 comment:

  1. You will be okay. Everything happens for a reason. Whatever the reason, use this situation to glorify God in everything you do! Call me if you need anything!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete